Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, November 20, 2015

Networking and Missed Trains


A month ago I decided I needed to get out there and network.  My first networking event, I went alone and conservatively dressed. I jumped right in and thought things were going well until one man offered for me to stay at his place if I didn’t want to make the trip ALLL the way back home after my ONE glass of wine. I extended my hand and said “It’s been a pleasure to talk to you.” Then walked away.

I have gone to a few events now and it seems I walk away with more dates than business contacts. I thought about wearing a faux wedding ring but haven’t done that as of yet. However, my boyfriend was not traveling this week and we decided to go to one together.

A few groups formed and we settled in to a seating area when, in walks THAT GUY… the one that tried to take me home at the last networking event I saw him at. He spots me and is trying to play it cool when he knocks down the velvet ropes that gated off our reserved area. He then goes to the bar to get himself a glass of wine.

Wine in hand, he makes his way over to me and my boyfriend, whom I have to assume he thinks is a colleague or someone I just met by his confidence and cheesy swagger. I make introductions as we sit down. Conversation goes stale and I remember that this guy used to live out towards Napa so I ask about the wine he has chosen. He responds with “ The by the glass wines are not comparable to the bottles of wine for purchase.” He says to my boyfriend and I. He then turns to me and says “I would need someone who wants to split one with me. It’s no fun getting a bottle just for yourself.” I say “Well, we already have drinks. One is fine for me.” He then looks at my martini “Well, that’ll loosen you up for a bottle soon I’m sure.” I politely say “Oh no no no!”

After his pathetic attempt to try and get my boyfriend to leave the conversation, my boyfriend and I go into “we mode”. Weeeee have had a busy month. Weeeeeee have found some fun martini’s during our outings this past month. Weeeeeee live on the North Shore…..

The guy finally picks himself up and says “I need to go get some cheese!” and walks away. However, he forgets his wine glass on the table in front of us. He makes some connections by the cheese tray and then comes back, scoops up his wine and avoids us until he leaves. Since he walks by us, he feels obligated to say good bye. Comes over and says he hopes to see me at next month’s networking event.  I tell him “Perhaps!” (AKA No F*cking way!) and he is dumb founded that I am not committing to seeing him at the next function.

After this delightful (Sarcasm) evening, we make our way to the train. I know in my head we have to leave exactly at 9 to catch the train. Boyfriend says good bye to one more person and we are out the door at 9:03. We walk fast to the train but I have heels on and they keep getting stuck in the sidewalk. We arrive in the train station at 9:19. The sign says all aboard and we run to the platform. I read Track 1! Well, it was Track 7 not track 1. They look similar on the board when you whiz on by though and since Newburyport and Rockport are almost always on Track 1 or 2, I feel confident going towards 1. Get to track 1 and there isn’t a train. Look at track 7 annnnd there goes our train.

I melt down. I had had a long week…a long day at work and networking is hard. Luckily, my boyfriend convinces me that we need to go to a bar and have another drink since it was an HOUR and 20 MINUTES until the next train! We leave the train station but I am not willing to go far as I have speed walked nearly a mile and then sprinted the entire train station in stilettos. We go across the street to a tavern for drinks and apps. When we return to the train station, our train is called and we… and every Bruins fan in the WORRRRLD board the train. I can’t complain though because we did get a seat and we did get home!

TGIF! I am done with this week! Enjoy your weekend everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment