Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, December 23, 2011

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…

Coming from New Hampshire, Christmas feels like blissful white snow covering the trees and Christmas lights hung for everyone to see. By now, I’d have a good “Christmas Late Night Drive” under your belt where I drive around and take in everyone’s amazing decorating abilities. However, that is not the case here in Boston. When I was making a mad dash for the door this morning, I couldn’t decide between rain boots or snow boots (It’s raining but it’s 34 degrees). I threw on snow boots (wishful thinking I suppose). As I arrived at the Commuter Rail this morning, I didn’t see my usual commuter buds. I saw suit cases and shopping bags. Poinsettia’s and gift baskets. It was as if I was the only one going to work today. I took my seat on the train and went to Boston being one of the few “commuters” this morning.

When we arrived at North Station, I stood and took a second to take it all in. There was a hustle and bustle of people trying to get to their loved ones with their suit cases and gifts. I listened to Jingle Bells playing on the Salvation Armies boom box as someone played a tambourine. Then, I realized I had probably paused for too long and ran to catch the T. I walk in to hear a saxophone player playing “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas”. It clicked. “It IS Christmas” I thought. It had all of a sudden hit me.

I boarded the T and road my two stops. The T was packed with first time T riders with their luggage and wide eyes. I hopped off at
State Street
and another musician playing the guitar greeted me with “Rockin’ around the Christmas Tree”!

The holiday in the city may differ from my usual holiday in the 'burbs but I am ready to embrace new traditions and a new way of life. I happily walked to my office in the rain with my snow boots on thinking that just because it’s not snowing and Christmas lights aren’t everywhere, it doesn’t mean the spirit isn’t around me.

Happy Holidays!!

No comments:

Post a Comment